Monkstone Lighthouse

Monkstone Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1859 in the Bristol Channel, replacing a cast iron unlighted beacon established in 1839

The lighthouse consists of a masonry tower strengthened by vertical and horizontal wrought iron bands surmounted by a prefabricated red GRP tower which replaced the original iron structure in 1993, when it was converted to solar powered operation.

The lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from Trinity House’s Planning Centre in Harwich, Essex.