Trinity House has completed the modernisation of Berry Head Lighthouse in Devon, upgrading the site’s aids to navigation and control systems to provide simplified maintenance and reliable performance that will extend the life of the station for a further 20 years.
This re-engineering project was the first use by Trinity House of its ‘simple lighthouse’ scheme, which will become standard for mains-powered shore-based lighthouses. This will become the solution where self-contained LED lanterns are suitable and no other aids to navigation such as hazard warning systems or sector lights are required.
Trinity House built Berry Head Lighthouse—near Brixham, Devon—in 1906 atop an extensive limestone headland above near-perpendicular cliffs, as part of a chain of south coast beacons; it converted the station to unwatched operation in 1921 and most recently modernised it in 1994.
Trinity House has recently re-engineered the station in line with current service standards, including a main and standby light system using self-contained LED lanterns; this altered the range of the light from 19 to 18 nautical miles and necessitated the removal of the 3rd Order optic as well as the emergency light on the roof.
The simple lighthouse scheme is comprised essentially of a main and standby main navigation light supported by two battery systems and protection and monitoring, a telemetry unit and a lantern control system.
The modernisation ensures that the station will meet Trinity House’s navigational and operational standards for another 20 years and provide the expected level of assurance and reliability for all mariners.
Other project goals included the delivery of a new control and monitoring system, new power system and renewed station support infrastructure; these systems allow for simplified technical inspections and will help reduce the frequency and duration of station visits.
The change to energy-efficient LED lighting and the removal of mercury, oils and lubricants helps Trinity House reduce its impact on the environment.
Executive Chairman Captain Ian McNaught said:
“Berry Head Lighthouse has been successfully completed and the new simple lighthouse approach has proved its worth and shown the way forward for similar stations. The lighthouse’s two white flashes every 15 seconds will continue to be a reliable element in our wide and varied mix of over 600 aids to navigation for another 20 years, a welcome safeguard for all mariners and all vessels.”
NOTES TO EDITORS
Trinity House is a charity dedicated to safeguarding shipping and seafarers, providing education, support and welfare to the seafaring community with a statutory duty as a General Lighthouse Authority to deliver a reliable, efficient and cost-effective aids to navigation service for the benefit and safety of all mariners.
Please visit www.trinityhouse.co.uk for more information.
For further information please contact:
Neil Jones, Public Relations and Records Manager
Tel: +44 (0)1255 245155 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org