Royal Sovereign Lighthouse

Royal Sovereign Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1971, replacing the lightvessel position which had marked the shoal since 1875

It is of concrete construction and was built in two sections on the beach at Newhaven. The base and vertical pillar section were floated into position and sunk on to a levelled area of the sea bed; the upper cabin section and superstructure were then floated over the pillar section. The pillar had an inner telescopic section which, when attached to the cabin, was jacked up 13 metres and locked into position.

The cabin section contained accommodation for the keepers who manned the lighthouse before its automation in 1994. The flat upper deck of the cabin section provides a helicopter landing platform. The lighthouse tower, with the control room, fog signal room and lantern is located at one corner of the main deck with direct access to the cabin section below.

Automation of Royal Sovereign Lighthouse was completed in August 1994. The lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from Trinity House’s Planning Centre in Harwich, Essex.