Pendeen Lighthouse

Pendeen Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1900 to guide vessels around the inhospitable shoreline from Pendeen to Gurnards Head

From Cape Cornwall the coast runs NE by E towards the Wra, or Three Stone Oar, off Pendeen. From here the inhospitable shore continues for a further eight miles or so to the Western entrance of St. Ives Bay, the principal feature here being the Gurnards Head, on which many ships have come to grief.

The high cliffs along this sector of coastline prevented passing vessels from catching sight of either Trevose Head to the East or the Longships to the West; and so numbers of them, unable to ascertain their position, were lost, particularly on the groups of sunken and exposed rocks near Pendeen Watch. Trinity House became increasingly concerned about this state of affairs as the nineteenth century drew to its close, and decided to erect a lighthouse and fog signal at Pendeen.

Pendeen Lighthouse was automated in 1995 with the keepers leaving the station on 3 May. The lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from Trinity House’s Planning Centre in Harwich, Essex.