Lynmouth Foreland

51° 14.731' N 003° 47.201' W (not for navigation purposes)


Image of Lynmouth Foreland

Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse

History

There is a cliff top walk to the foreland along the path leading from the old inn near Countisbury. It is a very long and impressive route along the headland and thence skirting round the cliffs to the lighthouse. Here the rugged track stands some 150 metres above sea level and magnificent views can be had all round. Grass gives way to a well worn footpath along the very side of the sloping cliff itself, and after a walk of about two miles one has to start descending down these tracks to the lighthouse on the point, well below the crest of the headland. At times this walk is very hazardous but never really dangerous provided care is taken. The hardest part is the return journey back up the cliff and along the path - there is in fact a lighthouse service road a little further along the A39 which makes it an easy, but not quite so spectacular visit.

Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse was established by Trinity House in 1900 as a further aid to navigation in the Bristol Channel, 20 miles east of Bull Point. The station was electrified in 1975. The round white tower is 15 metres in height, set on the extremity of the headland 2 miles E.N.E. of Lynmouth.

The focal plan of the optic is 67 metres above sea level. The optic is a 1st order dioptric apparatus, 8 panels in 2 groups of 4, revolving on a motor driven mercury float pedestal.

Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse was automated in 1994 and is now monitored and controlled from the Trinity House Operations and Planning Centre at Harwich in Essex.

Send us a photograph of Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse.

Specifications


Gallery