51° 01. 326' N 004° 31. 530' W (not for navigation purposes)
Photo by Ian Wright
Hartland Point Lighthouse gives a guide to vessels of all types approaching the Bristol Channel, the lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1874 under the direction of Sir James Douglass. Built on a large rock at the tip of the point, the lighthouse was threatened by the undermining action of the sea to such an extent that rock had to be broken from the cliff head behind the lighthouse to fall on the beach and form a barrier against the waves. Unfortunately this procedure had to be repeated at frequent intervals as the deposits were washed away whenever a North Westerly gale coincided with a high spring tide. Eventually it became necessary to construct a permanent barrier, and a sea wall 30 metres long and 6 metres high was built in 1925.
Prior to automation in 1984 the station was manned by 4 keepers, who lived in dwellings attached to the lighthouse with their families. The dwellings were demolished when the station was demanned in order to allow for the construction of a helipad next to the tower.
Today the lighthouse is monitored from the Trinity House Operations and Planning Centre at Harwich in Essex. In 2012 the light was first exhibited from an alternative structure with the lighthouse building remaining a significant daymark.
|Height Of Tower||1.5 Metres|
|Height Of Light Above Mean High Water||20.5 Metres|
|Lamp||1 Kw MBI|
|Optic||3rd Order 500MM 6 Panel Rotating|
|Character||White Group Flashing 6 Times Every 15 Seconds|
|Range Of Light||8 nautical miles|